Today we took a look at food insecurity and the health impacts it has, especially on children. We were joined in studio by Colleen Moriarty, Executive Director, Hunger Solutions Minnesota.
One of the services provided by Hunger Solutions is the Minnesota Food HelpLine, where they work to connect people to as many healthful food resources as possible. The Minnesota Food HelpLine makes it very simple. With one call, they will help assess your situation and provide solutions to your family’s food needs.
If you or your family are having difficulty making ends meet, visit the Hunger Solutions website or call 1-888-711-1151. HelpLine Hours: Monday – Friday – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Deal of the Week
For our Deal of The Week, the practitioners at The Bhakti Wellness CenterPositively Healthy as well as Mary with Genesis Hypnosis and Rob with are offering $1 off (up to $50) various services for each pound of food you donate to a local food shelf/food bank facility. Contact each practitioner for information about qualifying services.
If you would like further information about food insecurity, we have a number of links, videos and more for you to check out.
- Official website of the documentary, A Place at the Table with links for renting online, the source for the audio clips played on today’s show.
- NPR/The Daily Circuit discussion on A Place at the Table
- Hunger Solutions MN – comprehensive hunger relief organization that works to end hunger in Minnesota. We take action to assure food security for all Minnesotans by supporting agencies that provide food to those in need, advancing sound public policy, and guiding grassroots advocacy.
- Hunger Free MN – a statewide campaign to fight hunger in our communities.
- MPR Reporter Archive: Julie Siple – Julie Siple is a reporter covering hunger and related issues for MPR News
- The End Hunger Network founded by Jeff Bridges
- TakePart – the digital divsion of Participant Media, Producers of A Place at the Table
- Washington Post review of A Place at the Table
- Ending Hunger – Jeff Bridges official website
- What does it mean to be hungry in Minnesota? – MPR story from 2011
Other Local Organizations
Trailer for A Place at the Table
How can we solve the hunger problem in America? David Park speaks with chef Tom Colicchio and directors Kristi Jacobson and Lori Silverbush on the new film “A Place at the Table.”
An animated promotional video for “A Place at the Table”
Clip from “A Place at the Table”
No Kid Hungry – National Press Club Launch Event