Typically, the consumer is forced to make a choice: eat Gluten-free, or Low Glycemic–not both. Best-selling author Debbie Johnson (Think Yourself Thin) proves you can have your cake and eat it too (literally!) with her cookbook Fun with Gluten-Free, Low Glycemic Food. Johnson’s recipes can be readily adapted for food allergies or preferences of almost any kind, without sacrificing taste or satisfaction. Here’s an example:
GINGER-PUMPKIN CUSTARD PIE
Even though this recipe has no milk whatsoever, it is very rich and creamy if not over-baked.
Makes: One 9″ pie
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 1⁄4 tsp Celtic Sea Salt
- or 1⁄4 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt 1 tsp Kuzu for firmer crust
- or 1 tsp Arrowroot Powder for firmer crust 1⁄4 cup Amaranth flour
- 3⁄4 cup Pecan Meal (my favorite), finely ground
- —you may buy or grind your own in blender or Almond Meal/flour, finely ground
- Melt Ghee or Coconut Oil on low heat. Melt in pie pan, if you want to wash fewer pans.
- Mix Almond Meal and Flour, Salt and Kuzu, if you use it, right in pie pan. Important Note: Mix until mixture clumps together, so the Oil spreads evenly and mixture presses well into pan and stays more firm.
- Press into pie pan.
- 1 inch organic Ginger Root, sliced in about ¼ inch slices,
- ½ cup purified Water
- 3 organic or free-range Eggs
- 2 cups organic canned (check label to make sure it is
- 100% Pumpkin and does not have other ingredients)
- or 2 cups organic fresh Pumpkin, baked and mashed
- or for natural sweetness, 1 cup Pumpkin and 1 cup Squash
- or Sweet Potato, baked and mashed
- ½ tsp Stevia of choice and ½ cup Raisin Sauce (p. 42,79 or 91)
- 1 Tbsp Quinoa flour
- ½ tsp Celtic Sea Salt
- or ½ tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 tsp organic Cinnamon
- ½ tsp organic Nutmeg
- ½ tsp organic Allspice
- 1 tsp organic Vanilla Extract (optional)
- or 1 tsp vanilla flavor (Celiacs may not tolerate extract)
- or fresh organic Vanilla Bean
- Blend in blender: Ginger Root, Raisin Sauce and Water, then pour into saucepan.
- Bring Ginger mixture to a boil while doing next step.
- In a separate heat-proof bowl, mix together remaining ingredients.
- Add boiling Ginger mixture to dry ingredients and pour into 9″ pie shell.
- Bake 400 °F for 15 minutes (375 °F for 30 minutes). Check. Best if not too firm.
Below is a video our guest, Debbie Johnson did with a recipe for Gluten-Free, Low Glycemic Coconut Truffle